The Klu Klux Klan has a long history of acts of terrorism. I can think of no other word to describe the thousands of lynching’s performed by the KKK. Picture yourself as a black family in the old South. A group of men wearing white robes and hoods rides up on horseback carrying flaming torches. They dismount and force their way into your house. They seize a male member of your family, take him outside and hang him. You would be terrorized, and that was the whole idea; to terrorize the black community into being submissive to white domination and to be submissive to whites in general.
I read a while back that the KKK has been infiltrating police forces across the US for a few years. I cannot imagine that the KKK is infiltrating those police forces for any other reason than to be able to harm black people with impunity.
Now I know that the public face of KKK has disavowed violence. However, they always have been and still are a secret organization. So, while the public face has disavowed violence, you have no idea what the 99%+ whose identities are not known are doing in the background. As a result, I do not believe the public face of the KKK when they say they have disavowed violence. I think what actually has happened is that the KKK decided to swap the white robe and hood for a police uniform and badge, the flaming torch for a police flashlight, and the noose for a police sidearm. While the vast majority of lynching’s were targeted at a specific individual I think the KKK now tells their police department recruits to look for a set of circumstances, an altercation with a black man and an excuse, any excuse, to kill him. Excuses can be totally subjective as ‘I thought he had a gun’ or ‘I thought he was going for a gun’ or they can be as objective as ‘He had a gun’ or ‘He was carrying a concealed weapon’ ignoring such facts as, in the first instance, he was open carrying in an open carry state or, in the second instance, that he had a permit for a concealed weapon.
As a result, I firmly believe that at least some of the recent police killings of innocent black men were nothing less than KKK executions. Which leads to my question, why has the government not designated the KKK as a terrorist organization?
I can think of a number of reasons why that has not happened:
- They haven’t thought of it. This would be understandable as I didn’t think of it until recently and I have not read of anyone else saying it.
- They think they need more evidence. The issue here would be whether the FBI would really be interested in investigating the KKK. During the civil rights era the FBI may well have expended more time and resources investigating Martin Luther King, other civil rights leaders, and leftists supporting the civil rights movement than they did investigating the KKK. So it may well depend on how much things have changed at the FBI.
- There would be a huge outcry from the far right about how the poor white supremacists are being picked on or that the only terrorists are Islamic.
- There is the problem of what to do with all current members of the KKK since membership in a terrorist organization is, in and of itself, a crime. This is a non-trivial problem as there are at least tens of thousands or KKK members and possibly hundreds of thousands. I would propose a three-pronged approach to this problem:
- The upper levels of the KKK should be prosecuted.
- The police recruited by the KKK who have killed innocent black people should be prosecuted. In any case, any police officer who belongs to the KKK should be forever prohibited from holding any position within the criminal justice system.
- The rest of the KKK membership, presumably the majority, should not be prosecuted. They should, however, be put on notice that if they join any other white supremacist organization which then starts killing black people then they would be prosecuted for their membership in the KKK. The idea here is to avoid having the majority of the KKK members quit the KKK in mass and then join some other organization which starts doing the same thing as the KKK.
If I am right and nothing is done about the KKK then one by one over the coming years police departments across the US will become nothing less than branches of the KKK. As an example, consider the case of a police department in Weirton, West Virginia where the Chief of Police fired a police officer for not killing a black man. I don’t know whether that chief of police is a member of the KKK or not, but that is what will start happening more and more as KKK members get into positions of hiring and firing within police departments.
So, I will finish by repeating my question. Why has the KKK not been designated as a terrorist organization?